If you are an engineering student, you already know that normal or mediocre laptops can’t serve your various engineering purpose uses. Running software like SolidWorks, CATIA, Alibre and PTC Creo Elements/view requires a very high configuration in your laptop. If you are yet to buy a laptop for mechanical engineering, you need to research well before selecting one that will be of best use for all your engineering classes and projects in the coming years. In this article, we are going to review 7 best laptops for engineering students available in the market right now.
If you are looking for a cutting edge, powerful, expansive laptop for all your engineering projects, Lenovo Y700 can be a perfect choice. The core features that are going to help in the running of your engineering software are 2.6 GHz Core i7 6700HQ Processor, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M Graphics Coprocessor, and 16 GB RAM. Its graphics card is really very good for a laptop as it allows you to play medium to high-end gamins with decent frame rates.
Its 1080P display is going to be simply perfect for your needs. The 256GB SSD drive of the laptop is going to make sure your laptop is fast in executing tasks. The 1TB hard drive is going to be more than enough to handle all your project and study-related files and software. In a nutshell, it is a decent quality gaming laptop that can be used for virtually any computer tasks. That’s why it is the number one choice in our list of best laptops for engineering students and engineers available online. After all these, this laptop is not super expensive and should be easily affordable to students of engineering. This laptop also features in our list of best animation laptops online. So, you can buy this one if you want to run various animation software.
- Its JBL speakers are powerful and loud
- Works fast for having 256 SSD, 16GB RAM, and 4GB Graphics card RAM
- 1TB HDD is a decent hard drive for a laptop
- It is packed with lots of ports for your convenience. It has a full-sized SD card slot, USD 2.0 on the left side and Ethernet jack, HDMI and 3 USB 3.0 ports on the right site.
- Its 5.7 pounds of weight is slightly heavy for students to carry all the time.
- 4.5 hours average battery for general tasks and no more than 2 hours for high-performance software or programs is a little less for a laptop.
Asus Vivobook Pro 15 is another feature-rich, strong built laptop you can go for. It comes with a GTX 1050 4GB discrete graphics for flawless visuals and mainstream gaming. The 15.6 inches full HD display for should good enough for your engineering projects.
This lightweight, slim and a high-performance laptop has incredibly powerful 7th generation Intel Core i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor. Its 16GB RAM and 512 SSD drive are going to ensure your laptop work fast and quick, just as you want when running multiple software and programs. You can expect to have extensive connectivity in the laptop as it comes with USB 3.1 Gen 1 port, SD card ports, DHMI, SB 2.0 and more. Last but not least, its ergonomic backlit keyboard makes working on this laptop super easy and comfortable for you. If you are looking for an excellent combination of polish and performance, Asus Vivobook Pro 15 is the laptop to have. For having an endless number of latest features and functionalities, it is one of the best laptops for engineering students you can buy right now.
- Great combination of polish and performance
- GTX 1050 4GB graphics card is perfect for 4k UHD content, watching movies and playing games and doing all the graphics-intensive tasks
- It comes with a robust dual-fan cooling system for minimal noise and maximum cooling efficiency.
- With just 4.8 lbs of weight, it must be called a lightweight laptop
- Ergonomic backlit keyboard ensures comfortable typing for any hand size.
- No more than 5 hours battery life for basic tasks and only 1-2 hours with advanced tasks
- Some users were not very happy with fan noise.
If you want a decent quality laptop for your engineering classes but don’t have a high budget, this Dell Inspiron laptop can be a good low-priced option. This laptop comes with 15.6 inches wide screen size and 1920 by 1080 screen resolution.
While the processer is 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5-4430, its graphics coprocessor is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti. So, you can expect a decent performance when running mechanical engineering software. Its 256GB SSD drive will ensure fast booting and running speed.
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti is a good graphics card in its price
- Backlit Keyboard ensures you find it comfortable using the laptop
- Multiple ports including HDMI, USB 2.0, and USB 3.0
- Uses Windows 10
- If having a huge hard drive is your preference, you can get that version of the laptop paying around $225
- Heavy with 6.61 pounds of weight
- Some users said the touchpad could be a little better
If you are a big fan of Dell computers for its stylish designs, this Dell SPS 13 is going to be a good option to look at. This laptop comes with Intel 8th Generation Quad-Core i5 1.60GHz processor, 125GB M.2 SSD, backlit keyboard and 13.3 inches FHD 1920 by 1080 display.
The borderless InfinityEdge display of this small laptop makes it look stylish. Not many affordable laptops these days come with thunderbolt 3 ports and this laptop comes with one. 8 GB RAM is a little less desired when looking for laptops for gaming and professional tasks for engineers and architects.
- Thunderbolt 3 port offers 4 times the data and 2 times the video bandwidth of any other cable.
- Borderless InfinityEdge display makes it look very stylish
- Intel HD Graphics 620 integrated with this laptop can be just enough when running engineering software
- Weighing just 3lbs, it can be one of the most lightweight laptops for engineering students
- Some users complained about its touchpad and AC cable
- You need to change the adaptive brightness feature enabled by default for best display experience
You know gaming laptops come with the best features and specifications. And Acer Predator Helios 300 is one of the most sold gaming laptops available online.
This 15.6″ laptop is known for its incredible performance having 256GB NVMe SSD, Overclockable GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, Intel 6-Core i7-8750H processor, 16GB DDR4 RAM, and Full HD widescreen LED-backlit IPS display. Its 7 hours of battery life is decent. All these advanced features make it one of the best laptops for engineering students available right now.
- Comes with a backlit keyboard
- Intel Core i7-8750H Processor 2.2GHz with Turbo Boost Technology
- 256GB SSD and 16GB RAM ensures fast and smooth functioning
- Immersive sound for having Acer TrueHarmoney and Dolby Audio Premium
- Supercharged Refresh rate to deliver ultra-smooth 2D motion scenes
With 5.51 lbs of weight, this laptop is a little bit on the heavier side of the laptops
Acer Aspire VX 15 is another quality gaming laptop you can buy for your engineering tasks. This is a feature-rich laptop with 256GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics, Intel Core i7-7700HQ Processor and full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED-backlit IPS display.
6 hours of battery life and 16 GB DDR4 RAM are cool features that ensure smooth working on this laptop in your college or university campus.
- Great display with stylish monitor
- Processor, RAM, SSD all high quality
- Iron-Red backlit keyboard
- Dual-Fan Cooling system
- Top of the case might give you a cheap feel
- Might get hot after a couple of hours of high-end software running or gaming
MacBook Air is one of the smallest laptops to buy for professional tasks. If you do not want to use it for very high-end engineering software, you can go for this 12-inch laptop. This tiny laptop weighs only 3 pounds and that is why it is most recommended for people who want to use it on the go.
You can expect a decent performance from it as it boasts of 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5 processor, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, 128GB SSD and Intel HD Graphics 6000.
- Lightweight, slim design
- 128GB SSD will ensure smooth functioning of the laptop without wasting your time
- Intel HD Graphics 6000 Graphics co-processor will ensure fine working on different engineering software and games
- 12 hours of battery life
- Some users complained about receiving a refurbished laptop. Make sure you double-check to understand that is the case with your delivery.
- You may have to update it to an earlier version of macOS if you get the laptop with an old version